To submit news to The Doctor click here or email news@freodoctor.com.au
HomeFeaturesNewsWhat the?News

Login

Lastest Forum Posts

Latest Classifieds

Advertisement
FreoDoctor Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
BW8 v Platu 25 (1 viewing) (1) Guests
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: BW8 v Platu 25
oiley (User)
Rail Meat
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
6 Years, 6 Months ago  
The Polish T750's are going to cost about $75 landed here with sails and instruments.

Why don't you look at the Runnals 8 for sale in Freshies for $55,000. I also have one, it's a bit of a hybrid sports boat as it has a heavy bulb, but it can take the WA winds. The Platu at Freshies has yet to come out so we haven't tested them against each other.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Pirate Juice (User)
Commodore
graphgraph
6 Years, 6 Months ago  
Quote (not quite sure how to do this)
"Shackle Spanner i was meaning brand new not home built re my comment;

IR - can u give us an idea of how much time it took to build and what your build schedule was?? i've, for a long time, fancied a T8sc home build when i grow up but the time scares me a little;

a mate of mine built an E7.8 for $60ish sail away - awesome job - 4 years and moved around 4 different flats;"

Our boat took 6 - 8 months to build, the main high load parts were professionally built (i.e. the main bulkhead, the forestay fitting, laminating the keel and rudder) obviously this increased the cost a little. The best guy to talk to about the $$$ for a T750 would be Guy Skinner as he had the majority of the hull built at Windrush (with considerable time himself) Overall I think his costs were around $45 - $50K and his build time was about 2 months longer than us (we used the same building _frame_ after he was finished and we hit the water two weeks before he got wet)

As far as the cost of a Polish T750, go to sailing Anarchy and look through the T750 thread on the Sportsboat Anarchy, the last cost I saw was about US$30 - 35K.

Also Oiley, I do not know what instruments you would have on a T750 (we only have a GPS) and the speed of a Runnalds 8 is sooooooooo slow compared to a E7.5 or a Melges 24 or a T7 let alone a T750 or a Sports 8.

Overall I agree with the idea of the BW8 for a club trainer etc etc and lets face it if you want to do any international ragattas then you could sail a simmilar boat here (also a lot cheeper), then fly to the regatta venue and charter a boat for the regatta and a week of training before to get up to speed.

IR

ps I am not sure what skills Quantum is talking about the skills required to build the boat were no more that basic - medium level woodworking and moderate level laminating skills / knowledge, but the shed that we built it in was a 4 car garrage. (when my Brother was looking to buy the house the first thing he said to me when he opened the garrage door was... what do you think a "Go Boat"!!!!!)

Shackle Spanner (User)
Skipper
graphgraph
6 Years, 6 Months ago  
cool - cheers IR

Illusion Wanderer (Admin)
Admin
graphgraph
6 Years, 6 Months ago  
Insite Racing wrote:
the speed of a Runnalds 8 is sooooooooo slow compared to a E7.5 or a Melges 24 or a T7 let alone a T750 or a Sports 8.

considering the R8 down here beats the T7 i'm not sure where your getting your facts from... another benefit of the R8 is that you can take it out of the river!

Glug (Admin)
Admin
graphgraph
6 Years, 6 Months ago  
oiley wrote:
I also have one, it's a bit of a hybrid sports boat as it has a heavy bulb, but it can take the WA winds.
Not this one is it?

Last Edit: 2008/04/23 09:39 By Glug.
oiley (User)
Rail Meat
graphgraph
6 Years, 6 Months ago  
cost of Polish T750 is 30,000 Euros. Thats $52,000 plus shipping, import duty, GST, sails instruments.

I'll admit they'd be faster than the R8 downwind as they are half the weight, but going upwind in a blow would be fun to watch. I don't see the sports boats out when it's windy. I can remember the Stealth 8 upside down with the crew swimming around.

Shackle Spanner (User)
Skipper
graphgraph
6 Years, 6 Months ago  
what the hell is that???

Pirate Juice (User)
Commodore
graphgraph
6 Years, 6 Months ago  
If that photo that glug showed is anything to go by then the Runnalds 8 and the R 8 are very different boats, the Runnalds 8 like KGB (Geoff Bishops old boat), R8ed etc are all heavy boats and compared to a T7 very slow, it would be a shame to see that the Runnalds 8 has followed the lead of the M27 and had version 1,2,3,4,5 etc etc.

Also I think at least on handicap the T7's are killer boats GUE has won almost every regatta on the east coast for a few years, point taken it is very very well sailed.

Insite

oiley (User)
Rail Meat
graphgraph
6 Years, 6 Months ago  
That's Peters new boat: Men in Black, don't know what it is, but it sure isn't a Runnals

Like I said, the R8 is a hybrid, and sails very differently to a full-bore sports boat.

A fairer comparison is with the BW 8 and the Platu. My point was that they live on a trailer, therefore you can keep one in Perth and there's one for sale with a brand new set of Quantum sails, which I would say is an attractive alternative for anyone considering a BW 8 or Platu.

Pirate Juice (User)
Commodore
graphgraph
6 Years, 6 Months ago  
oiley wrote:
cost of Polish T750 is 30,000 Euros. Thats $52,000 plus shipping, import duty, GST, sails instruments.

I'll admit they'd be faster than the R8 downwind as they are half the weight, but going upwind in a blow would be fun to watch. I don't see the sports boats out when it's windy. I can remember the Stealth 8 upside down with the crew swimming around.

Correct me if I am wrong but if you pay Import duties then there is no GST (the GST is the same as the import duty), the sails are included in the 30K euro as far as I know and the shipping is not much.

You also like instruments, like I said before you do not have instrumets (exept maybe a GPS or a Tactic on a T7 or a T750.

Well, I agree they are different boats you should bring your R8 to SoPYC during the winter to sail against the other sports boats, and also to Diggers Cup on Friday, it is always better to sail against sports boats anbd expand the fleet.

One final note the boat that was upside down was a Sports 8, not a Stealth 8 (the former has a canting keel and the latter does not)

Insite

Pirate Juice (User)
Commodore
graphgraph
6 Years, 6 Months ago  
oiley wrote:
That's Peters new boat: Men in Black, don't know what it is, but it sure isn't a Runnals

Like I said, the R8 is a hybrid, and sails very differently to a full-bore sports boat.

A fairer comparison is with the BW 8 and the Platu. My point was that they live on a trailer, therefore you can keep one in Perth and there's one for sale with a brand new set of Quantum sails, which I would say is an attractive alternative for anyone considering a BW 8 or Platu.

I agree a R8 is a much better choice than the others for weekend sailing etc but the BW8 is great for club training (compared to what the clubs had before some had J24's others a E5.9's).

If you own a R8 or a sports boat it is also cheeper and if you want the international regattas then go and charter a boat at a big event, I would not go and do a Platu regatta but would prefer to do a Melges 24 regatta, but that is just me (as you could charter a red one!!!!)

Insite

oiley (User)
Rail Meat
graphgraph
6 Years, 6 Months ago  
Yep realised the mistake about sport / Stealth as soon as I posted....

I have spoken to Peter in Poland about the T750, the price doesn't include sails or trailer.

Import duty on a boat is 5% plus 10% GST on purchase, shipping and insurance costs (I have done it).

Thanks for the offer to race at SOPYC, at present we're getting up to speed at Freshies in the midle of the BW's and trying to justify new sails to the wife....

Glug (Admin)
Admin
graphgraph
6 Years, 6 Months ago  
Glug wrote:
Shackle Spanner wrote:
what the hell is that???
Delivered to Freshie at Easter. Photos been stuck on my stupid phone since then. Looks fast even on the hard!

Glug (Admin)
Admin
graphgraph
6 Years, 6 Months ago  
nothery

Shackle Spanner (User)
Skipper
graphgraph
6 Years, 6 Months ago  
looks quite 'industrial' on the foredeck

is there a website for this design?

The Advocate (Admin)
Admin
graphgraph
6 Years, 6 Months ago  
Saw it at Freshie over Easter and also out sailing. From the detailing it looks like a QLD developed boat.

COMPETITOR DRIVEN DIRECTIONS IN YACHT RACING - THE WAY OF THE FUTURE.

I am neither for nor against in principle, but I agree with the bloke that is right.
arejays (User)
Commodore
graphgraph
6 Years, 6 Months ago  
Glug wrote:
Glug wrote:
Shackle Spanner wrote:
what the hell is that???
Delivered to Freshie at Easter. Photos been stuck on my stupid phone since then. Looks fast even on the hard!

Ive seen this out on the river a couple of times now, believe me its not fast.
Looks like the owners at some point have cut about 1 1/2m out of the rig, which has led to a lacklustre performace.

Cheers
aReJay

downsideup (User)
Commodore
graphgraph
6 Years, 6 Months ago  
I believe it's a Coulson design, a QLD boat from a QLD designer.

The rig is small as that's the way he usually goes with his designs, small rig with a easily driven hull underneath it.

Shackle Spanner (User)
Skipper
graphgraph
6 Years, 4 Months ago  
earlier someone suggested that there may be 15 Platus heading NZ way -

it seems Barker has just bought a shareholding in a marine company in NZ; this was in the herald;

"Dean's involvement will attract a new wave of customers to the New Zealand industry."

He is keen to share with Barker his pet project: the development of an Auckland Farr Platu 25 racing series.

"There's been grumbling in the local industry that there's no International One Design yacht racing here. Kiwi Yachting is helping to establish a fleet in New Zealand to get a bit more international racing action on the waters of the Hauraki Gulf."

i struggled to believe that 15 individual owners in NZ would be buying Platus; however, it may be that KYD is underwriting it;

Paul Eldrid (User)
Tactician
graphgraph
6 Years, 4 Months ago  
Shackle Spanner wrote:
earlier someone suggested that there may be 15 Platus heading NZ way -

it seems Barker has just bought a shareholding in a marine company in NZ; this was in the herald;

"Dean's involvement will attract a new wave of customers to the New Zealand industry."

He is keen to share with Barker his pet project: the development of an Auckland Farr Platu 25 racing series.

"There's been grumbling in the local industry that there's no International One Design yacht racing here. Kiwi Yachting is helping to establish a fleet in New Zealand to get a bit more international racing action on the waters of the Hauraki Gulf."

i struggled to believe that 15 individual owners in NZ would be buying Platus; however, it may be that KYD is underwriting it;

Yep. Up to 17 boats now I believe

Go to top Post Reply